Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Entering Canada with a (very) old DWI ?

I was arrested/convicted of a DWI about 16 years ago. I completed all my probation/fines over 13 years ago. I have read on the Canadian Citizenship and Immigration site that I can be "deemed rehabilitated" without having to fill out any paperwork or applications since I completed my punishment over 10 years ago. I also contacted the Canadian Immigration Department and verified that I have interpreted the law correctly. On one hand I know people that have been turned away at the border who have a DWI that is less than 10 years old, but I also know of many people who have had a DWI that is anywhere from 5+ years old that had no problem entering Canada. Is there anyone who knows (not just read on another forum or heard a story from a step brother's cousin) if I'm going to have a problem entering Canada for a vacation? I have spoken to travel agents, lawyers and officials from the Canadian government who say that I should fall under the "deemed rehabilitated" category. Has anyone been in this same position and can you describe your experience? TIA

No comments:

Post a Comment